Tuesday, 29 May 2007

WHY I AM AN AFRICAN

NBF AFRICAN LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME

MAY 2007

I am an African! But what makes me an African? Was it because I was born on the African continent of black parentage? Or is it because I am living out the values that are African on which I was raised as a child?

Values such as respect for elders, parents and authority; values such as looking out for the wellbeing of my neighbours who I’ve been taught to know and call my brothers and sisters. The values of respecting the opinions of others, taking other people along when making decisions that affect them; values such as being honest and hard working. I am an African not because I am black, but because I’ve believed, internalized and now live out these values that defines my Africanness.

If you can answer the question “Am I my brother’s keeper” in the affirmative then you are an African.